Does the word finance make you cringe? Tired of living paycheck to paycheck? Or maybe you want to live a life where you’re not constantly checking your bank account?
The best way to predict your future is to create it.
5 tips on how to take control of your finances and start filling up your piggy bank!
- Record Your Expenses: To be able to save money, you first need to figure what you’re currently spending money on. You need to record everything from groceries and gas to trips to at the local coffeehouse. Once you track this for a couple months you will start seeing trends. This will help you decide what areas you could trim back on and assist in creating a monthly budget.
- Repurpose Anything and Everything: Have the urge to go shopping? Look around your house first and see what can be repurposed before heading to the mall. Open up your closet and see what items you can turn into a new outfit! This same thought can be applied to home décor or furniture. Try rearranging or applying a fresh coat to creative a renewed atmosphere.
- Game Night: Instead of hitting the town with your friends, try a game or movie night at home. This will help your food and entertainment budget stay on point. Your friends will be thankful this night of fun doesn’t hurt their wallet as well.
- Flip the Switch: So simple, but so easily forgotten – the lights. Keeping the lights on in your home may not be expensive each month, but it surely adds up overtime. Try opening the blinds to let in natural light during the daytime. During the evenings start the habit of turning off lights as you leave a room.
- Start Small: If you don’t have a savings account, you might consider getting one. Be sure to research different banks and the different amenities they might offer. But don’t feel you have to start saving vast amounts at first. Start small. Maybe that’s a dollar a day, or five dollars a day. Whatever the amount might be, the important part is that it’s realistic and you stay consistent. This will create a beneficial financial habit you’ll carry for a lifetime.
Extra Tip: Don’t forget to throw your spare change into Mrs. Piggy – those coins add up!